22 June 2007

work, drink, rinse, repeat

Th best showers were when I was a bartender, & th
faint smell of booze on my body. th northern
sun that rises at four in June. th black candle against
th blinds of everyone

I thought of love. b/c I was new

& it was nothing to do w hot water or becoming
clean, but th black candle & th fact it was bright

again before I’d go to sleep. in my pockets
$$$ from th men & women
to hear th twist of a bottle or another hitting another

for I was born yesterday & what th devil holds
at home alone for th waitresses
who were ready
for someone to happen. our black clothes were uniforms
& we laughd at nothing or summer rains
in anticipation of hard drinks on th soft red chairs

when th doors were lockd

seeing how things were hard before, like th top of th bar
was th top of th world
for dancing, & knowing little of th future I wld fall asleep.
in & out of th shower, I wld count my $$ & laugh
& pull th blinds

3 comments:

Cinnette said...

that's a lovely little piece, Hardy. i was once a bartender, i remember times similar to these...

mind if i link your blog? i mean, i'm going to -- so if you don't like it come over and let me know to take it down.

nice pictures as well. cheers.

Rob Budde said...

very together. draw me a pint, 'tender.

Unknown said...

I like yr writing, Hardy. Nice to poke around yr site. Thanks for comments.

Jude